Following on from our Blog about ensuring your gas engineer is Gas Safe registered, we highlight in this Blog the importance of being aware of Carbon Monoxide (CO) poisoning and how to prevent it.
During the winter months we spend more time indoors and in colder weather we will be using our central heating, gas, solid fuel and wood fires more than usual. Carbon Monoxide (CO) can be produced when fuels are not burnt correctly. This includes natural gas, liquid petroleum gas (LPG), oil, solid mineral fuel and woods.
What are the symptoms of CO poisoning?
- Loss of consciousness
CO is a very dangerous gas as you cannot smell, taste or see it and many of the symptoms are similar to other ailments. Research has found that as many as 80% of people could mistake the signs with a cold, flu or hangover.
What should I do if I suspect I have CO poisoning?
- Immediately get fresh air.
- Open all doors and windows, turn off any gas appliances and fires and leave the building.
- See a doctor or go to hospital at once. They can conduct a blood and breath test to check for CO poisoning and then give any treatment needed.
What are the warning signs which could indicate CO in my home?
- Sooty stains on or around gas appliances.
- Floppy yellow or orange flames on your gas appliances, instead of sharp blue ones.
- Pilot lights that often blow out.
- An increase in condensation on inside windows.
If you notice any of these warnings, you need to contact a Gas Safe or HETAS registered engineer as soon as possible so that they can check your appliances, flues and chimneys.
- GAS SAFE – Gas Safe is the National watchdog for gas safety within the UK. It is the official list of engineers legally qualified to work on gas appliances. It is illegal to carry out gas work for customers without being registered. Illegal gas work is not only potentially dangerous, it can also prove costly when it needs to be repaired.
Visit www.gassaferegister.co.uk for further details.
- HETAS – HETAS members are approved competent installers for biomass and solid fuel domestic heating appliances for systems that go beyond the standard gas boiler system.
Visit www.hetas.co.uk for further details
At Simon Turner Showrooms we are members of Gas Safe and HETAS and we have an unwavering commitment to unparalleled customer service and safety delivered by highly experienced technicians.
Audible carbon monoxide (CO) alarms
Audible CO alarms are a good second line of safety against CO poisoning, but they are not a substitute for having your appliances regularly serviced and checked if you notice any warning signs of CO emission. This is because if the alarm sounds it means you already have gas in your home. However, the alarm is loud and will wake you up before levels rise too high.
It is essential that the alarm you buy is marked with the British Standards Kitemark EN 50291 and we sell these at Simon Turner Showrooms and can advise you where to install them.
Would you like to speak to a friendly adviser about your gas boiler or fire service?
Having your gas boiler, gas fire or wood stove serviced is a really important job for the safety and well-being of your home and all who live in it. To speak to one of our helpful advisors why not pick up the phone or come in to meet us (when restrictions allow) and let us help you with our knowledge and experience.
CALL US ON 01395 267805